Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Reason Behind It All

Ever since I was 18 years old, I've been romantically involved in relationships of some sort. It has been eleven years of getting my heart stomped on (and doing some stomping myself, I might add) and it seems as if I am destined for the state of singledom - forever. Despite what you may think, I'm not sad or lonely or upset. I am actually reveling in this new state that I haven't truly experienced since high school.

I am single and loving it.

I can do what I want, travel where I want, come home at 5 am, leave my woolly mammoth legs unshaven, eat Haagen Daaz for dinner, and essentially be myself and be happy, which is all I've ever really wanted. Still, it's hard to be alone by myself on a Friday night when my friends are with their boyfriends, or on dates themselves. It's tough when you get that wedding invitation and have to find a 'plus one'. It's tough when you're on the john and you need someone to toss you a toilet paper roll from the hallway closet because the roll, right in front of you, is empty.

So I am begrudgingly throwing myself back into the dating pool, with a few rules:

* I will have no expectations.
* I will date without any commitment.
* I will go on as many dates as I can in the Summer of 2009.
* I won't say no to a date, unless he's completely unattractive.
* I will not end a date early, unless he's a complete boor, which is not to be confused with bore.
* Most of all, I won't put any pressure on myself. I'm not going to worry about any missteps or concern myself if I don't get a call back. I won't even feel bad about not letting the guy know why I am not calling him back. I am just going to be uninhibited, unfiltered, all natural me.

And now you, my good friend, are getting to hear of my wonderful experiences this past summer. Some good, some bad, but in the end, I'm having fun and I'm still very glad to be single. Here goes nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment